Favorite Catholic Prayers



Sarah, from With a Hopeful Heart, tagged me in this special Catholic meme. Check out her blog if you haven't already - especially her Aug 1 post. She's got some VERY EXCITING news that is just too great to not share.

Here are the rules:

"Name your three most favorite Catholic devotional prayers, and explain why they're your favorites. Then tag five bloggers - give them a link, and then go and tell them they have been tagged. Finally, tell the person who tagged you that you've completed the meme. The Liturgy and the Sacraments are off limits here. I'm more interested in people's favorite devotional prayers."

1. Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, including Benediction when I am able to make it for that part. I love sitting with Jesus when He is so present. It is such a special blessing. As I tell my sons, it's Mommy's favorite place to go (between that and sitting in an empty church in front of the tabernacle) when I'm feeling sad or have something I need to talk to Jesus about. What a blessing He has given Himself to us in that way - to be present to us and to become a part of us!

2. I'm going to combine two because the reason we started one was because of the other. The Brown Scapular and The Rosary. Andy and I started a daily devotion to the Rosary almost 3 1/2 years ago when we started to wear the Brown Scapular in the tradition of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. It can be an outward expression of my faith and can make people think about God and Mary, or wonder what that tiny brown strap is. I've gotten surprisingly few questions about it, though. It also gives me hope of protection as well as an increased sense of responsibility to my faith. Regarding the Rosary, I admit it is very difficult for me to say it daily, partially because I am still learning how to make time for it. I admit too that my mind wanders too often while saying it. But it is a very special prayer to Mary, and when I pray it with my heart, I do see its fruits.

3. The Morning Offering. I typically make up my own, giving Jesus and Mary my upcoming day, all the trials and the joys, all my prayers and hopes, my family and work, and anything else coming that day, asking that they be with me. After having taken a long break from saying the Morning Offering, I am working on saying it again each morning. I'm slowly starting to say a short morning offering with the boys as well, hoping it will become a normal part of their daily lives.

On an aside, a couple people have mentioned devotion to St Anne, the mother of Mary. I am feeling perhaps a calling to have a deeper devotion to her as well. Thank you, Sarah, for including your prayer to St. Anne in your meme.

And as for those I will tag, here they are:

1) Katie at HuMAMAe Vitae
2) Allison at A Broken Fortress.
3) Tracy at A Catholic Mom in Minnesota
4) Krissy at A Fruitful Vine
5) The first reader to comment on this post, not including those above.

Comments

Sarah said…
Thanks for joining in!! I enjoyed reading your list. Have a wonderful day!!

Popular posts from this blog

Persistence and assertiveness

Prozac Nation?