In Gratitude

Inspired by Katie's blog, I thought I would make a list of 10 or so things I am grateful for. Here it goes:

1) Kids songs. The boys have been singing and singing together. "Take me out to the ball game", "Down by the station", "Twinkle, twinkle", etc. Isaac is funny in that he will sing it just like his older brother (just as he does when he talks), misplaced sounds and skipped words and all! I am grateful that the boys are singing and playing together more and more.

2) Andy's 17-credit semester is finally over!!! What a long spring! And because of that, he has more time to do things around here, so the cars are clean inside and out and the garage is clean and organized, not to mention dishes and laundry getting done! Granted, he's starting summer classes on Tuesday. They'll run for 7 weeks. But it's not 17 credits!

3) I am grateful for a husband who sees things that need to be done and just does them! For a husband who is capable (and knows he is capable) of taking care of two boys himself while I work or so that I can get out of the house for a little me time. For a wonderful, loving, supportive husband who loves me even when I am in a crabby and irritable mood and not acting lovingly toward him.

4) For finally being able to put the manger scene away (5 months after Christmas)! And for being able to start organizing the basement so that we can have a play area down there by this next winter (or earlier for rainy days!). For having time to post on my blog!

5) For friends and readers who check back on my blog even when I have not been posting and have not been good about keeping up with their blogs and lives or posting comments. Thank you! I hope all is well with all of you and that God is continuing to bless you! I will start checking back soon!

6) For green leaves and grass, for warm weather and evening walks. For a 3 day weekend to enjoy it with my family!

7) For a name for what I have been feeling. Adrenal fatigue, which apparently is similar to chronic fatigue syndrome and can also lead to fibromyalgia and other chronic painful illnesses. I saw a doctor a few weeks ago who started me on a regiment of vitamins and gave me a book to read and will follow up about a month from now. I'm already starting to feel a bit better.

8) For the ability to act! I want my children to know joy. When my 3 1/2 year old son asks me regularly, "Mommy, what's wrong?" or "Mommy, why are you crying?" when nothing is really wrong and I'm not currently crying but just because he has seen me cry and upset too often, something is definitely wrong! I'm starting to get some energy back and so I have the ability to act happy. And I figure if I start to act happy, maybe I'll remember how to be happy!!! And my boys will know what it's like to live a joyful life filled with faith in God! I recently read that "if you do not teach your children to find joy with you in your home, they will go out into the world looking for it elsewhere." I want the boys to know the true Source of joy instead!

9) For puzzles and games. Blaise is nearing 4 years old and really enjoys playing games and putting together puzzles with me. And he is beginning to learn to play by the rules which makes it more enjoyable for us to do together, and a good teaching tool for him! Isaac will pretend to join in sometimes too. I have been looking forward to this stage for a while! I love having an almost 4 year old, at least most of the time!

10) For two boys behaving well at Mass this morning. For the last three weeks, Andy and I have brought the boys to church separately. The first two weeks weren't great. Today, I took Isaac with me to 8:30 Mass, and Andy took Blaise to 10:00. They both did very well. Usually they are very poorly behaved, and their energy will rub off on the other so that by the end, they are ganging up on Andy and I and have completely worn us down. So I thought we'd take them separately and teach them what we expect for 1-2 months then bring them, more aware of how to behave in church and used to behaving that way, back together. This week gave me hope that that plan would work!

I have to add one more: 11) For friends! I have some wonderful friends who share my commitment to faith and to family. Several wonderful friends I have met over the last several years, blogging friends, and others scattered in many places. We are getting to know a great group of friends around here also, a thriving Catholic community of families! I am thankful, especially this weekend, as we were with many of them at a potluck on Friday, and I was able to meet some of the moms out for breakfast on Sat also. How blessed I am with such great friends and also with a great family (whom I can also call friends), both immediate and "extended."

Thank you, Lord, for this and all other things you give us! Thank You for your presence in our lives!

God bless you all this week!

Comments

Tracy said…
these are wonderful!!
And may God Bless You!!!! Cathy

Popular posts from this blog

Persistence and assertiveness

Prozac Nation?