Isaac's birthday train table

We celebrated our 3 year old's birthday earlier this month. He loves trains, so the theme this year was trains. (I'm not usually together enough to create a theme, but I had a couple great ideas for his birthday that just sort of fit together).

I had wanted to make the boys a train table for some time, and a friend of mine had some wooden tracks she no longer needed for her son, so I was able to buy them from her and find a 48 inch round table at a local second-hand store:



So I set out putting together a track. It took some time, but I enjoyed every second of it. It reminded me of building tracks for my little brothers when they were young. And I was just so excited to give a track to our two boys... uh, to Isaac for his birthday. After a few adjustments, I had a great layout that fit perfectly on the table!



Andy suggested I nail it down rather than screwing it down as I was going to do, since nailing it wouldn't take as long. But I found that I still had to drill holes in the wood as the railroad pieces were more dense than I would have ever imagined. I set upon doing that the next night. After nailing the flat pieces down, breaking two of my husband's drill pieces in the process (actually, he was responsible for one of them breaking), and gluing down the bridge pieces, it was done. I had to find a good place to hide it until Isaac's birthday. Luckily they never suspected that hidden beneath a sheet and behind a couple boxes and rolls of toilet paper and paper towels was this table.



When Isaac finally opened it, it was hard to tell who was more excited: Blaise or me! Isaac was pretty thrilled, of course, but Blaise was the one who was jumping up and down, as you can see by his blurred image on this picture:



They have really been enjoying playing with the track and the trains Grandma and Grandpa gave them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Persistence and assertiveness

Prozac Nation?