Isaac's train cake

In addition to the train table, I also had a good idea for a cake for Isaac, which a client at work had given me a couple years ago. I was thrilled to create two things for my little guy as I don't often get to use my creativity.

I baked the cake the night before in large and small springform pans and let it cool overnight. The next day, I began by putting one on top of the other and cutting a piece in the smaller, chocolate, cake to look like a tunnel. I also cut a ramp up the wider piece of cake.



I also whipped up some cream cheese frosting (yum... the boys and I ended up eating quite a bit of it out of the bowl after I was done... ok, I snuck in several helpings as I was frosting also!). I frosted the cake, creating a path up the incline and an arch over the tunnel. I used sugar wafers and brown frosting the create the tracks.



You can see I'm not very neat when doing this kind of thing... and that picture was taken after I tidied up a few things.

Isaac loved his cake. I just added a train that I gave him with his train set and a couple candles, and it was complete. Notice how his little lip is covering his upper as he blows out his candles... luckily he didn't have a cold that day because we all would have gotten it just by eating the cake!



Comments

Katie said…
That is absolutely adorable! What a creative cake and a thoughtful mommy!
Anonymous said…
Hi, I am making this cake for my wee boy who turns three tomorrow. Just wanted to say thank you for the idea, he's going to love it!

Popular posts from this blog

Persistence and assertiveness

Prozac Nation?