So this is what quiet sounds like...

It's quiet here... too quiet. There is no noise except the rocking of the chair Andy is sitting in, an occasional turning of a page, and now the sound of clicking on a keyboard. It's been quiet here since Andy and I came home at 6:30. Something's missing.

Of course, I know exactly what that something is: the boys are gone for three days.

Andy's finals are this week, and my parents often take the boys for a part of finals week every semester so that Andy can concentrate on studying. It's great help to him - and also gives me a little respite. They picked them up at 4:30 today. The boys were thrilled; Blaise barely said goodbye to us. As they pulled out, I couldn't help it - I started to tear up. Yes, these boys drive me nuts sometimes, but they are such a part of my life. And tonight, I barely know what to do with myself. No wonder people have a hard time when their kids leave home. I've only been a mother 5 years (5 1/2 if you count pregnancy), but I don't know what I'd do without them for very long.

We had a great weekend last weekend - with only a few little snags that we call whining. This last weekend, Andy and I made a pact; we would concentrate on the boys rather than our busy work - we would only do the essential housework such as dishes, cleaning the table, and laundry. Instead, we did a couple projects (very simple projects), went to the park to play baseball, swing, and climb, played catch in our yard, and had special time with the boys separately (Andy took Isaac out, and I took Blaise). It is truly amazing how much the housework and busy work cuts into time with they boys. And I know they crave time with us, especially since neither of us are the type to get down on the floor, to their level, and play. But I'm hoping this last weekend helps us to begin to overcome those obstacles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Persistence and assertiveness

Prozac Nation?