A slice of pie

I have known Andy just over 7 years, and we've been married nearly 6. He has told me throughout that time, albeit rarely, that his favorite desert is lemon meringue pie. Now, Andy is a man of few words most of the time, and a man of even fewer deserts. I mean, he doesn't like ice cream, chocolate, cookies, cake, or really any deserts... except lemon meringue pie. But in the last 7 years, do I remember him eating a slice of his favored desert? NO! Then, in one way or another, he mentioned the pie a month ago, and I have been looking for a chance to make it since then. My chance came this last Sunday.

Andy's dad invited him to go golfing, and Andy offered to take Blaise with him. So they left at 12:30 Sunday for a very successful golfing expedition. As soon as they were out the door, and with Isaac in quiet time, I grabbed my food processor and my cookbook and set about making a crust for my treasured pie.



I was off to a good start. This was the first good pie crust I had ever made! Isaac came down from quiet time, and after licking the inside of the food processor (sans blade) clean, and after Mom baked the crust, we rode, Mom on her bike and Isaac in the trailer, to Isaac's special treat: bowling!


Strong man!


What a bowler!


Waiting... and waiting... for the ball to roll down the lane.


Then back home we went. Isaac was incredibly good, allowing me to mix and stir and whip the pie into shape without his complaining. In my haste and concentration on the task at hand, I forgot to snap any pictures until the pie was in the oven. But I did manage to get one of some of the dishes, for your viewing pleasure:


The completed pie:



I didn't capture the best part - Andy's surprise when he opened the refrigerator after returning home with Blaise. But here is a slice from last night, just before he dug in:



Mmmm... Though it didn't puff up quite as much as I was hoping it would. Perhaps leaving it in the oven for a couple more minutes? I'll just have to try it again someday...


(Also, thank you for your prayers and words on encouragement regarding my last post. Today was again a difficult day, both because of that and because of Isaac's difficulty in transitioning to school and back to the babysitters - but that's another post perhaps. But I'm making it through, due in part to those prayers and kind words. Thank you!)

Comments

Allison said…
You know, I've never had a lemon meringue pie! It looks good though.

Is it funny that I noticed Andy is wearing a hockey shirt? Well, I'm assuming it is, it's a sports font and I can see the HOC :)

Do you guys go to hockey games often? There's a song they play, Zombie Nation, Kernkraft 400 that has a bunch of "oh, oh, oh, ohhhs" in it. Anyways, it reminds me of hockey and we're having it for our grand march at our wedding reception haha!
Katie said…
Yummy! I love lemon meringue pie! I think if you want it to puff up more, there are tricks to working with the egg whites - use a cold bowl, metal preferably (copper is best - not that I have one, though), and there is probably more.

What a beautiful gift you gave Andy.

Prayers are continuing for you!

Popular posts from this blog

Persistence and assertiveness

Prozac Nation?