Being Small

One day, Jesus got into a boat with his disciples and said to them, "Let us cross over to the other side of the lake." So they put to sea, and as they sailed, Jesus fell asleep. When a squall came down on the lake, the boat started taking in water and they found themselves in danger. So the went to rouse him saying, "Master! Master! We are going down!" Then he awoke and rebuked the wind and the rough water, and they subsided and it was calm again. He said to them, "Where is your faith?" There were awestruck and astonished and said to one another, "Who can this be, that gives orders even to winds and waves and they obey him?"



"We are all fragile and small, no matter how much success we may have experienced in life. Sooner or later we have to face this truth, and when we do, we should follow the example of the apostles. They did the right thing when their resources ran out - they went to the Master. He is always near, even if he seems asleep. And no storm is too great for his calming touch. In fact, the most elemental and uncontrollable powers of nature, the face of which even modern technology has to bow its proud head, meekly obey the word of the Lord" (The Better Part, John Bartunek, LC).

A week ago, I was blessed to go on a mom's retreat with eight other wonderful Catholic moms. The beautiful nun who led the retreat had prayed for the right theme and the right words to deliver to us. The theme she was given is one of becoming great by being small. I believe this spoke to each of us.

There were two parts in particular which spoke to me. The first was regarding having heroic trust in God. I want to be one of those people who have such joy that it radiates from me - to magnify the love of our Lord as Mary did. But I cannot do that by sinking deep into the storms of life, lost in worry. To have heroic trust in God - to turn to Him during each storm life throws at us and to know He will bring us through each storm - produces a freeing of oneself, a freedom from worry. But what is important is not only to have trust in God during those difficult times, but to also have joy and gratitude. To be joyful in the Lord in every situation, to acknowledge that He is still with us in our boat and still very much in control of the situation, perhaps allowing it for refinement of our holiness. To be gracious for the opportunity to be refined, for the opportunity to trust in Him, and for the graces He gives us through the storm.

The second part which spoke to me in a particular way is that of making use of my weaknesses and limitations. In learning to have this heroic trust in God, we must acknowledge that we are weak and sinful and that we are children who are very much reliant on our good Father's strength, mercy, and love. On this earth, we will never reach perfection, and we will never be able to calm storms on our own. We will always fall, and rather than being surprised when we fall again or beginning to despair, we must see this as an opportunity to reach our hands out to God. In fact, the more we accept our weaknesses and the more we turn to God, the more we will realize just how much we do need our Father, constantly pray, and call His mercies and love down upon us, who are His children who He desires to help. I tend to feel like I should be strong enough to handle my own storms without God's help. But God's wisdom and strength in the midst of storms dwarfs my own, and He is able to give commands to calms the howling wind when I am indeed helpless.

Lord, help me to be small, to acknowledge my own weaknesses and limitations and to call upon You at all times. Help me to have heroic trust in You always, trusting You joyfully and graciously through the storms life sends as well as through the calm seas. May I be as a humble child coming with open arms to a loving Father, trusting You to provide me, in Your wisdom, with what I need.

Comments

Holly Rutchik said…
What a wonderful reflection on the retreat. I wanted to write about it, but could not find the words. Yours were perfect.
i have been thinking of you and praying for you all week, and I see the Lord in your face every time I see you - just and FYI for you :)
Katie said…
Great words! I agree with Holly on all points!

Lots of love!

Popular posts from this blog

Persistence and assertiveness

Prozac Nation?