Blaise's Calendar

For some time, Blaise has been complaining and whining the mornings he needs to go to the babysitter's house. He likes it there, but he just wants to stay home with me. Over the last 2-3 months, he has been complaining about going to see the speech therapist as well and running out of the room as soon as I bring him in, wanting to go home. But he has always been excited about preschool.

But yesterday was a different story. He takes a school bus from the "big school" where he as speech to the "little school" where he has preschool, two days a week. Yesterday, his teacher couldn't get him off the bus. He wouldn't get off on his own, so she tried to pick him up. He arched his back and starting kicking her. He kept repeating he just wanted to go home.

I don't think its the babysitter's, speech, or preschool. Each of the teachers/caregivers are wonderful. And once he is in any of the settings, he is ok. But he's 4 1/2. I worry about this happening at this age. And I am certain that the reason this is happening is that he has no control over the situation. He wants to be home with me, so he acts up. If I were able to be home with him the rest of the days, I am certain speech and preschool would not be an issue.

Because I cannot change the situation for him, as much as I want to, we did something else yesterday to help him understand what he will be doing each day and to understand the pattern he follows each week. I have been wanting to do this for him for a while.

He drew the lines on the calendar and put the first letters of each of the days on the calendar then approved each of the symbols I used for home, school, and babysitter's. I hope this calendar helps him. Something has to - I don't want him to feel so frustrated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Persistence and assertiveness

Prozac Nation?