Ok, ok, I get the hint.

You know how sometimes you hear something in church or you read something that you know was meant just for you? Well, that didn't happen this time. I was too busy. But God wanted to make sure I paid attention and got the message. I have heard this Bible verse several times and a couple reflections on it over the course of the last couple weeks, and then it was part of the theme at the retreat I was at this weekend, when I actually had time to listen. Ok, God, I get it. I'll pay attention.

As they continued their journey He entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him. She had a sister named Mary who sat beside the Lord at His feet listening to Him speak. Martha, burdened with much serving, came to Him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me." The Lord said to her in reply, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her." (Luke 10:38-42, emphasis added)

As women, we spend too much time in both the literal and the proverbial kitchen of life. We work hard, caring for our children and husbands, doing housework, and often working or volunteering. We give and give some more, often becoming burdened by all the tasks we have before us. We can easily become anxious and often worried.

I wonder what kind of meal Martha was cooking. Was she cooking a five course meal? If someone famous were coming to my house, I would be tempted to prepare the best meal I know how to make, to clean the house top to bottom, and to buy fancy napkins and a new tablecloth. Was Martha doing the same? And what was her attitude toward serving? Obviously, she wasn't finding joy in her preparations for dinner. Of course, with so much to do and with her sister reclining at her guest's feet, I can imagine why Martha had taken up the bad attitude. It's the same attitude I often have when I have finished a long day at work and come home to screaming kids and housework waiting to be done. So I really can't blame her.

But we also have to make a point of stepping out of the kitchen often in order to sit at the Lord's feet and listen to Him speak to us. We need to talk with Him and tell Him our difficulties and our burdens and place them in His lap, for He also says, "My yoke is easy and my burden light." We have all heard, and hopefully experienced, that when we take time to pray, our days go more smoothly and we are more at peace and less anxious. It is not easy to do this since we are so busy; it can seem like just one more thing on our to-do list. It may not be until days or weeks later when we feel our stress level growing that we realize we have not sat down to read scriptures or to do an examination in a while. St. Francis de Sales has said, "Half an hour's meditation is essential except when you are very busy. Then a full hour is needed." Well, that is just not possible in my week, but I get the point. Prayer and meditation are absolutely necessary, especially when we are so busy. So we have to make a point of setting aside time to pray. When it comes to the general direction of our lives and family, and when it comes to eternity, there is "only one thing" necessary for us to do. Spending time with our Lord in prayer and getting to know Him is that one thing. Without that, all that we do has no purpose.

I am finding I need to schedule prayer time into my day. A walk and rosary at lunch on Mondays and Thursdays, stopping at church after working on Tuesdays and Fridays, a prayerful run on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and Mass on Sundays. And dinners, bedtime, and other random prayer time I hope.

Lord, help us to be like Mary. Help us to step out of the kitchen often to take time to sit at Your feet and talk with You and listen to Your wisdom rather than constantly working so hard and giving ourselves away. Amen.

Comments

Katie said…
Absolutely beautiful, Kim. You speak for all of us who are tempted to "keep house" and, in the process, lose track of Whose house we are caring for. Bless you this week!

Popular posts from this blog

Persistence and assertiveness

Prozac Nation?