Thanks in Advance


The retreat I had gone on two weeks ago was at a Franciscan Capuchin retreat house. One of the Capuchins opened up the retreat with a prayer similar to one a fellow deceased Capuchin, Solanus Casey, would often pray: "Lord, thank You in advance for all the blessings You will grant us during this retreat" (paraphrased). I found it instantly opened me further to the plans God had for me during that retreat, rather than my own, more narrow plans.

I've been praying that prayer daily since: "Lord, thank You in advance for all the blessings You will grant me today" or "...for all the blessings You will grant me this evening with my family" if I'm on my way home from work, or another phrase as appropriate. I find it opens me up to the blessings He does have in store for me that day and helps me to be more joyful as it does remind me God is constantly sending His graces upon us all. It helps me to let go of the narrowness of my plans, of the anxiety that I feel when I think of all that I need to get done and to open up to the vastness of God's plans and His wisdom.

Lord, thank you in advance for the blessings you will grant my family and me tonight.

Comments

Wonderfully simple and easy to remember. I too will find this a tool to remind me of his constant blessings before, during and after! Thank you! Cathy
Tracy said…
well thank you so much for sharing.. I am writing it down and putting it on my fridge; each time I pass it I will say it out loud.. it is just wonderful!!
Katie said…
Thank you for passing this on, Kim. And thanks in advance to the Lord for all the wonderful memories yet to come in our friendship. May it bless Him always, and through that, we will be blessed.

Love ya!
Holly Rutchik said…
Hi Kim,
So wonderful to find you in the world of bloging. I just read your story and it is amazing! I feel like Joseph and I have a lot in common with you and your husband. Keep going with your writing, it truly is beautiful.
Blessings,
Holly
Nancy said…
What a wonderful way to pray! Thank you for sharing this!

Popular posts from this blog

Persistence and assertiveness

Prozac Nation?