Countdown to Graduation

I started a countdown to the time Andy will be graduating a four months ago. The beginning of October unofficially marks 20 months until graduation. Likely, he will graduate the spring of 2011.

When there were two full years left, I figured out how long it would be in years (that was very easy), months (24), weeks (104), and days (710). Two years sounded like a long time. So did 104 weeks and 710 days. But for some reason, 24 months sounds do-able. So I count down in months. Now we're at 20.

I have to admit I am impatient. I struggle every day I have to work (4 days a week) with leaving the boys or dropping them off at the sitter. I hate the rush of the mornings and not being able to sit in the rocking chair with them to calm them down when they are whining or frustrated or just too wild. The older child, especially, craves this time and suffers when he doesn't get it. He also feels strongly the need to have some control over the situation rather than succumbing to the events of the day, which are different each day of the week. They both need cosistency and are really not getting it for that reason either. I struggle with that, and I struggle with how tired I am at the end of a long day, running from room to room, showing my patients/clients exercises, pushing on backs, stretching legs, pulling on necks. I am physically and mentally exhausted before I return home, often after 7 pm. I have no energy left for the boys. But Andy told me that I can stay home once he graduates and has a job. I long for that time, and so do the boys.

But I do realize I am greatly blessed by a caring and supportive husband and two wonderful children. I am blessed by the fact that Andy does to dishes, laundry, cleaning, bills, etc. I am blessed by the fact I do have a job and work for a very good company. I am blessed that I am able to make enough for our family working 30 hours a week. We have so many blessings; yet, I don't like to see the kids or I struggling so, or Andy for that matter.

I don't know yet whether I will quit working completely. Right now, I'm leaning toward talking with work after Andy lands a job and offering to work prn so that I can keep my hands in physical therapy and because it really is a good company I work for. But that may change. And for now I'm trying not to think about it too much as God may have other plans for us that I don't know about yet.

For now, I continue my countdown. Twenty months left.

Comments

God will bless you in your perseverance. Just hang in there! Praying for you! Cathy
Andrea said…
Kim,

I recently read the following in a good book:

"As a member of the mystical body of Christ, you are entitled to many graces. Ask for them."

I will be praying that you receive the graces you need to persevere through the next 20 months.
Kim said…
Thank you both for your support and your prayers! I need them. I read a passage in the Bible recently which says we should boldly approach God with our needs... I felt what you wrote, Andrea, spoke the same thing to me. I did that this morning and do feel more patient about working today. Hopefully that will continue.

Popular posts from this blog

Persistence and assertiveness

Prozac Nation?