When Mom's not happy... nobodys' happy, But...

But when Mom is happy, everyone is happier!

In all honesty, our family has been struggling. I have had a very difficult nearly 3 years and have really struggled. And I know my struggling has been very difficult for Andy and for our two young boys who don't understand why Mom is often so tired and in such a bad mood. I had severe postpartum depression and anxiety after Isaac was born, and I don't think I had ever adequately recovered from that... but recently (the last month or so), I have finally been feeling like a "normal" person again (with the exception of 5-6 weeks of bronchitis and catching a cold a week ago on top of that, which completely drained me). But about 5 months ago I began to see a local doctor who works with hormones and fertility, as well as chronic fatigue and stress, by the way of research and treatment utilizing the Creighton method of NFP and working with our bodies' natural responses and needs. This is beginning to work wonders for me!

First, she put me on vitamins to give my body the nutrients it needs and to regulate my digestive system (apparently, you can't have a "happy" brain if you don't have a "happy" gut, and my gut was not happy). I did also start back on antidepressants to give my mood a little boost. But what has made the greatest difference has been getting on two things about 1 1/2 months ago: prescription progesterone (which I found I have to take as a suppository to avoid the side effects... but it's worth it) and a vitamin specifically to help my adrenal glands to function. Apparently, when people are stressed chronically, the adrenal glands become tired and don't do their job adequately. The adrenal glands, in addition to the ovaries, produce progesterone and use some of the progesterone to make cortisol (yes, the stomach fat hormone), which calms our bodies and relieves the stress response. Cortisol is also partially converted into cortisone, a natural anti-inflammatory (since starting on this stuff, I have also noticed less mid back pain and hip pain). Lack of progesterone production also contributes to worse-than-necessary PMS. And many people in our country are apparently estrogen-dominant, having often too little progesterone in comparison to the estrogen their bodies produce, likely due to diet and environmental factors, as well as stress. My progesterone was off-the-chart low by peak +5 (an NFP term), and I suspect I have had low progesterone my whole life, contributing to moodiness, especially during "that time" and depression, also contributing to my horrible postpartum anxiety and depression.

So what it comes down to is that I feel great! And except for being sick last week, I feel consistently good. And Andy and the boys all seem happier for having a happier mom. What a wonderful blessing! I am so grateful.

In other news, I have found a writers' group in the small town in which I live. I am hoping to be able to meet with them soon. The person who started this group gives writers' conferences at times also at local colleges and such. It has the potential for being a really good thing and getting me back into enjoying writing.

Comments

Krissy A. said…
Kim--I am so happy for you. Really. Praise God for giving you the answers to those questions you had for so long! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Persistence and assertiveness

Prozac Nation?