Paradigm

"Paradigms power perceptions, and perceptions power emotions. Most emotions are responses to perception - what you think is true about a given situation. If your perception is false, then your emotional response to it will be false too. So check your perceptions, and beyond that check the truthfulness of your paradigms -what you believe. Just because you believe something firmly doesn't make it true. Be willing to reexamine what you believe. The more you live in the truth, the more your emotions will help you see clearly. But even then, you don't want to trust them more than [you trust God]" (The Shack, Wm Paul Young).

The paradigm I too often live by lately is that my life is too difficult that that too many expectations and responsibilities are being thrown at me. This drives me to perceive any setback or struggle to be unfair and to be more than I can handle. Therefore, I am quick to feel anxious, stressed, angered, impatient.

If I can switch my paradigm from "this is too difficult; I can't handle all of this" to "with God's help, I can and will make it through this time in my life, and will enjoy it. I have been given so many blessings," my perceptions will likely change and so will my quick emotions. My expectations of each moment will decrease, as will my frustrations when things don't go smoothly, or when I need to do something I really don't feel like doing, and I will not feel like I'm being treated unfairly. I may begin to enjoy moments I now find only tolerable or mildly amusing and tolerate better situations I now find to cause stress and impatience, thus causing my emotions to be more often the enjoyable kind and less often the depressing kind.

A friend who has anxiety issues says that those of us with anxiety and depression start at a certain level of anxiety or stress, whereas most people start at a much lower level; therefore, it takes less to push us over the maximum threshold to tolerable stress or anxiety. To make matters more difficult, our maximum threshold may be lower than the average person's.

What is the cause of the heightened baseline level and lowered maximum threshold? Is it genetic - something we're born with and cannot change, controlled by biochemical forces? Or have we, through training ourselves and our brains, developed unhealthy paradigms and perceptions and influenced our neurochemistry through repetitive behavior and thoughts, creating neural synapses and changing the balance of neurotransmitters and endocrine hormones, biasing ourselves toward further stress, anxiety, and depression? The most obvious answer is that the truth lies somewhere in between.

This thought is to be continued... in the meantime, any thoughts regarding this question, or other comments?

Comments

Katie said…
All good points. Love ya!
Winging It said…
I know over the years learning His Word has slowly re-written my response mechanisms and priorities. Where I was always over-burdened and harried and anxious, I slowly both learned better habits and also was (for lack of a better word) delivered from situations that I had outgrown and somewhat prevented me from a more fruitful style of living, fitting for my family and life at that time. Prior to seeing much change if any on the outside, first He changed my heart and caused me to yearn for change in my reactions and lifestyle...until (to my way of thinking) I wanted what He wanted for my life so much as to be in agreement with Him. I don't mean this in ANY way preachy..because I by no means have the answers...just a girl on the path of faith and life with you and sharing my experiences in this regard. My changes required serious economic and lifestyle changes and our family to be in a agreement and that was all 10 years ago! Wow! Seems like yesterday...but I was in the icky stages for quite some time prior to that, some years...and even making the change is it's own sort of awkward, but it was and is so clearly the path He had for me...

Now these are 2 verses (of many) that will be sweet to think on in this regard “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.”- Psalm 91:1 and "...but ever be filled and stimulated with the [Holy] Spirit." Ephesians 5:18 (b)...really it's part of a slew of verses that go together that are a God send! Ha! Quite literally! I.e. when I find myself feeling frayed and rattled and decidedly short tempered...I know, I'm dry, I need a good oiling of my hinges, and I just where ever I am, what ever I'm doing, turn my heart toward God and tell Him I need to be filled, fill me fresh with His Holy Spirit, I'm dry and parched and need more of Him to pour out in this ole earth! Next thing I know, it's not as hard as it was, my sense of humor and perspective improve...etc...nothing flashy necessarily...just life (more abundantly)! :)

Good to visit again,it's been a long time!
Kim said…
Winging It, what you described in the first half of your first paragraph is exactly where I feel I am right now: "over-burdened, harried, and anxious" and yearning for "change in my reactions and lifestyle." And I have been there for quite some time, clinging to any hope of getting out of this stage. Some things will change, such as my staying home in a year (if God so desires), but I realize I am still the same person whether I am at home or at work. This last post reflects my hope that my perceptions and attitude can indeed change and that I don't have to be stuck in such misery. I have to remember that such things are done slowly, as we learn better habits and as God changes us, as well as as our lives change around us. Thank you so much for your reflections and for sharing your experiences!! They, and the Bible passages which I plan to spend some extra time with very soon, are of great help!! And it is so important that we share our experiences - it's part of what makes us human.
I'm glad you, with God's help, have been able to come to a better place in both your situation and in a less-burdened and harried life, according to God's will for you and your family!
I also love what you say in the second paragraph about asking to be filled - thank you all around for your prayer-filled response!!

Popular posts from this blog

Persistence and assertiveness

Prozac Nation?