Update... Doing Better

I love Romans 8:28. "We know that all things work together for good for those who love God." Well, He has proven that to be true once again!

I had a very difficult time with this miscarriage, being angry with God for having put me through this again. Well, I also have recognized a recurring theme in the last year. Have you noticed it?? (you don't really need to tell me if you have). The theme has been this: complain, complain, complain. Hopefully I really haven't been that bad, but truly I have been frustrated with my need to work, my thyroid and hormonal problems, my kids' behavior... I won't go on.

Meanwhile, my husband says, "It is what it is." Often. Alright, alright, I get it... or I thought I did.

No, really, I didn't get it like I should. It's not so much that life isn't fair (as in, it's not fair I have to work; it's not fair I have to deal with all these imbalances). Fair Smair. What is fair? (And I don't really have it that bad anyway). Whatever!

No, life isn't fair. But really, it's not unfair either. If we believe in God, we're given enough grace to work through whatever situation He's put us in. No, life is what it is. We're dealt what we're dealt. We need to accept what's in front of us. What does it do for us to not accept it... to complain? It tears us up inside is what it does! No, we need to accept it. Some things can be changed, but it often takes time, so in the meantime, we can accept where we are and start to take the steps to change it. Accepting where we are helps us to trust in God. We aren't truly trusting in God if we aren't accepting what He has given us. And if we don't trust Him, we can't surrender to Him; besides, if we are complaining (outwardly or in our heads) and wanting to get out of the situation we're currently in, we are not at all surrendering. And surrendering to Him and trusting in His great wisdom, power, and love for us is what helps to bring us peace and joy. And what allows His plan to take shape in our lives... the plan that is absolutely best for us and may even include that change we desire.

I thought I was surrendering all to Him... even as I was feeling cheated. But by wishing it was different, I was holding on too hard to let it go. Now I am saying, with my husband, "It is what it is," including about the recent miscarriage... and work... and the thyroid... and kids' behavior (which is also improving by the way). And I'm finding it easier to happily accept God's plan and to trust and surrender to Him.

So my husband was right... again! It's not fair! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Persistence and assertiveness

Prozac Nation?